Saturday, March 28, 2015

That dampened excitement

    This happens over and over. A new restaurant opens in town. It features one of my favorite cuisines. (Boy did that sound awkward! And I call myself a writer! Wait... I make fun of myself when I call myself a writer. Well there may be a reason!) I stop around. It smells great! I'm so excited! Then I ask, "Is it gluten-free?" At both Ethiopian places in town, the answer was a definitive no. At one Jamaican place, a yes-but (macaroni and cheese, of course). However, I went back there and felt very uncomfortable after eating their takeout, so I don't know if I can go there again. And the new Jamaican place? I'm scared to ask. However, they have a lunch buffet with jerk chicken and plantains on it, so I'll be risking it soon. Worst case, I'll just stop by whenever I'm in the neighborhood and take a deep breath; it REALLY smells good!
    Thing is though, it sucks that this keeps happening. Especially since I aim at cuisine from countries (still awkward) where gluten isn't usually used. That's what made me extra-crazy about the Ethiopian places. I had to wait 30 years for one to make it to Columbia and when two got here, I couldn't eat at either. (Also, by definition, they're inauthentic if they use wheat instead of teff.) Then again, 30 years ago I didn't know I was celiac. Maybe I'll send '80s John by to give them a try. Ah heck, that way madness lies.
    I appreciate that everybody gets excited by new restaurants and then goes to visit and is then disappointed. But by and large, I don't even get to eat there first. Is bummer drag.

No comments:

Post a Comment