Friday, March 20, 2015

Whatever you do, don't take these!

    As I have blithered already, I take kelp tablets for the iodine with breakfast every morning. As I have also blithered, I get these from GNC, and recently have had reason to think that their dietary supplements are not what they are advertised to be (extensive news media coverage to this effect, for instance). So I went looking for another source. The only kelp tablets I could find at Whole Foods contained folic acid I think. And there was a warning on the bottle saying that this product contains ingredients known to cause cancer and should not be taken on an ongoing basis.
    I was like, so why are you selling them?! It's a supplement! The supposition is that I would be taking it on a daily basis; that's what supplements are for! Isn't it?
    Not surprisingly, I didn't buy these. I went to a locally owned natural foods store (my preference anyway). The only reason I hadn't gone there in the first place is that the previous search that led me to GNC showed that they sold supplements with significantly more than the RDA of iodine in each pill or capsule. This time out, though, they had some with only 2 1/2 times the RDA. That's more than I would prefer, but shouldn't be in any way dangerous. As I blithered long ago (this blog has been around 4 years and all), I'm slightly worried that the maximum RDA of iodine is only about 6 times the minimum RDA, and the stuff can kill ya. But I don't salt my food incredibly much. I'm reasonably sure I won't get in any trouble. You can bet that I read the entire label to make sure there weren't any "This stuff will give you cancer" type warnings. Just, you know, cyanide and stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment