Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Asperger's, anxiety and the belly

    A couple of years ago, in September of '09, I wound up in the emergency room for what I thought was some kind of diabetic emergency. It turned out to be neither diabetes nor an emergency, but just a touch of hypothyroidism. And I said, I can fix that, and did. By the time I had seen a doctor a week later for a followup, everything was back to normal. Basically, I had been eating too many goitrogens, and quit taking my multivitamins with iodine. Reversed these bright moves and underwent a miracle cure.
    Goitrogens are anything that's bad for your thyroid. This, essentially, is everything Americans eat or drink. (Just look around you and count the thin people.) I, uh, went a little over the top and eliminated all of them, or damned nearly. I also started eating avocado almost every day, one of the few foods that's actually good for the thyroid. And boy did I get happy! Zippiness was unending. Energy was outstanding. Everything was fun.
    This is what the psychiatrists call hypomania. I thought it was awesome, personally, except for an associated bout of what the TV ads call E.D. Lately, I've been getting really fed up with the latter. I decided that what must be missing is calcium. (This was due to the fact that in the week after the visit to the emergency room, where apart from hypothyroidism I also had slightly elevated calcium levels, I had uh, the opposite of E.D. Also, I had tried everything else.)
    So this year, I reintroduced kale to my diet in a big way. Kale is a wonderful calcium source, but also a strong goitrogen. And this year, I started having a lot of problems with crowds, a problem I had all my life through, say, September of '09, but not so much in the interim. Zippiness has been very much in abeyance all year. I figure that my Asperger's, and maybe everybody's Asperger's, is just a matter of low thyroid function leading to high anxiety. Back in my prime Asperger's years, I also gained a lot of weight, if gradually. In the low-goitrogen period, I lost a lot of weight without noticeable exercise. And now, the belly is making a comeback.
    It's a conundrum: how do I keep the belly trim and the anxiety down while actually being capable of being in an adult relationship? I figure I cut back the kale until the point where being in a crowd doesn't make me want to run out the room. If necessary, I can just eat okra at every meal; okra is also a good calcium source, but not apparently a goitrogen. Or I can just amp up the avocados and chocolate. I'm hoping a combination of both will best assure the return of zippiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment