Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Lost John Road and Memory Lane

    On the way out to Congaree National Park, off of Old Bluff Road is a short road called Lost John Road. Except for the whole having-to-drive-20-miles-to-get-groceries thing, I'd love to live there. It's not that I feel so lost; I just think it's inherently funny. Also, MAN would it be cool to live that close to the park. Also also I have a dream of opening a B&B handy to the park. While Lost John Road probably isn't close enough to be workable, it certainly would make for a cool mailing address. At the very least, it would be a kickass title for a novel.
    Speaking of street names, when Alice and I lived in Oak Grove, there was an unpaved road not far from us called Memory Lane. At least in SC, in rural areas with the advent of 9-1-1, nearly every driveway is a named street now. Some homeowners are creative with it and some are not. There are untold numbers of Pit Bull Drives and Rattlesnake Ways and the like, and about as many just named after the homeowner. I think Memory Lane is one of the good ones. I still can't decide whether "Memory Lane is unpaved" works as a zen koan or not. But I think it's cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment