Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Space alienhood is tiring

    People would probably be surprised by how unweird the gluten-free, casein-free, soy-free diet is, day to day. Supper lately is beef stew; lunch is pasta. Granted it's brown rice pasta, but you probably wouldn't notice the difference. I eat my chili with quinoa, but could just as easily have it with rice. I just like quinoa.
    Until lately, I could get my quinoa at Publix, but recently they seem to have decided as a company not to carry it anymore. Anyway, the Rosewood store no longer sells it and the downtown store has it on the highest shelf and marked down as if it's being discontinued. At an earlier stage of gluten freedom, I ate puffed millett for breakfast, a food I first found at Publix. Then I couldn't; apparently I have a knack for being the only person buying a given product from Publix. Even though I buy it often, it isn't enough, darn it.
    Meanwhile, my hot breakfast cereals, amaranth and teff (I alternate between them) are getting harder to find. One is available from two natural food stores; the other from only one. If that store or stores is sold out, I'm screwed. Otherwise, I'm driving, driving.
    And it's tiresome, and literally tiring. I suppose I'm being childish; I could just eat brown rice three meals a day, or potatoes, or corn, and find them at any supermarket. But I like the food I eat, and am more than a little tired of feeling marginalized due to not being able to get it except in special stores. I guess I need to open Footloose and Gluten Free and get it over with. Hell, I'd save a lot of gas.

No comments:

Post a Comment