Friday, April 15, 2011

Slander, libel...

    My friend Evans Elliott died in a homeless shelter in Ridgeland, SC in early 2007. It was a bed he had largely made for himself, through failing to quit drinking, but he had some help. There was a fellow who came to the Columbia area claiming to be a secret grandson of Carlo Gambino. Evans was always a sucker for anybody claiming to have money and power. A touch of infamy didn't hurt any either. "Carlo" took Evans down to Lauderdale for the titty bar tour. I remember Evans left his camelhair coat in the uh, Mob staff car, and trying to help him get it back, with no success. Later, I found that he had also "invested" some twenty or thirty thousand dollars with "Carlo." He never got that back either.
    I really think the family might have been more likely to help Evans with his drinking but for the colossal financial mismanagement. I really think the lowdown fake Mafia skunk contributed materially to Evans' death. I remember his real name (or the one he goes by), his wife's name, his kids' names and the auto dealership he supposedly owned. I'm wondering if you can actually libel somebody on a blog nobody reads. I'm thinking of giving it a try, though I supposed it wouldn't be fair to Blogger/Google. So for the moment, I'll just mention that if there's a hell, I'll see you there, Carlo.

4 comments:

  1. I remember this episode, but I'd forgotten (or never realized) that he lost so much money on it. Damn. That pisses me off all over again. FYI, it's wise to blog as if you were writing for a reputable news organization (i.e. not FOX or the National Enquirer).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta keep up; these days National Enquirer IS a reputable news organization (at least relatively speaking).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get that mo fo! Perhaps an anonymous call to a 3 lettered government agency feared by all especially around this time of year. But what goes around comes around. Perhaps Mr. "Gambino" will peddle his wares to the right wrong customer. And that will be a happy day for all except himself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. People in his trade (sleazebag shitweasel) tend to run afoul of the IRS without any help. The very thought gives me a warm feeling, so thanks.

    ReplyDelete