Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Waterline

    I always said that if I could describe the high water mark on the baldcypresses at dusk in Congaree National Park, then I'd call myself a writer. It's just... hypnotic. Almost ghostly. You see the same mark on every tree, as far as you can see. It's nothing and everything; it's so beautiful and yet-- not unnoticeable, but easy not to notice.
    See? Can't do it a bit. I'll never make a writer. I'll always be a dilettante with good syntax. But I'll be amused about it.
    And yes, I could post pictures. I know how, and it isn't hard. But hard as the vista might be to describe, it's harder to photograph. Impossible, really. I've tried time and time again. You'll just have to go and see.

4 comments:

  1. You've met your Waterloo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Able was I ere I saw Elba. Or possibly Emordinlap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean "Emordnilap", perchance? I believe it's in Ohio...

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'xactly. I stand corrected. I was thinking of my pal Nidrome, obviously.

    ReplyDelete