Sunday, April 10, 2011

More on (moron) advertising

    One idea I keep coming back to is that maybe I should go into advertising myself. Clearly, I haven't the chops to become the great American novelist in the time that's left to me. So maybe...
    The idea I had is a supremely crazy one. Whenever an ad comes on the radio (or TV, on the rare occasions I watch), I should write it down and also time it, then try to write a better one. If I do, I fire off a letter to the company with my better idea and... get a very polite thank you note from the deputy assistant communications director. But hell, as bad as these ads are, you would think that somebody would be looking for something better. Especially the local ones, and especially the local ones on the radio.
    So I dunno. Maybe it isn't a totally crazy idea. The central thought (See? I do know other words besides "Idea") is to make something constructive and creative out of one of life's petty annoyances. And maybe, I dunno, some cash.

2 comments:

  1. God forbid you might get a job, already! Give it a try. Ask Julie Britt, I hear selling out pays very well (and she seems well content with her life after years doing it).

    ReplyDelete