Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Mystery road

    Every time I walk the Cayce Riverwalk (as opposed to talking the Cayce Rivertalk), I wonder about the road running alongside the river on the Columbia side. I've looked for it before driving Columbia streets, but had no luck, which struck me as a little strange. I occasionally see trucks on it, so it clearly isn't abandoned. It looks like it would be a fun road for bicycling (except of course for having big dumptrucks on it).
    When I lived in the neighborhood before, in Granby Village 10+ years ago, we used to have dumptrucks on the streets all the time, but these days they aren't allowed on Olympia Avenue. I vaguely remember a bypass being built and am bewildered that the damned thing is so hard to find. We have a couple of quarries in the neighborhood. One thing I've noticed in the more than 2 years I've lived here is that the ground-shaking booms have gotten a lot less frequent. One good thing about a slow economy, I guess. But probably the dumptrucks are a lot fewer in number than they used to be anyway.
    So the other day I got curious again and took a drive. I went down Rosewood Extension, where all the dumptrucks seem to go now, but it dead-ended at a boat landing. (Then of course I remembered I had done this before, and it did then, too.) However, there was an open gate to a road headed north with a sign for Vulcan Materials. Vulcan Materials is one of the quarries. (They also have a flag that just says "Vulcan." Note to them: If this ever gets stolen, I didn't do it. I just want to.) I don't recall seeing any "Do Not Enter" signs, but I was still a bit intimidated. So I went home and looked it up on Google Maps, and there was no road there. So I switched to satellite, and there it was: running right along the Congaree and into Rosewood Extension.
    So now I've found the mystery road. Now to get up the nerve to walk, drive or ride on it. Maybe I'll call the Vulcans and ask for permission. Would "Live long and prosper" be a good conversational gambit?

2 comments: