Friday, May 17, 2013

Accidental sworn enemy

    I'm not having a good brain function day. Partly this might be because I went hiking for an hour or more at Congaree National Park and forgot to bring any water. Regardless, on my way home, I was turning onto I-77 South from Garners Ferry Road (a left turn against four lanes of traffic). Spacing out completely, I didn't realize that I was cutting off an oncoming minivan trying to turn onto the same ramp. (I thought they would have a separate lane and a Yield sign, but they didn't.) Later at the Shop Road exit, I moved out of the right lane (with the minivan still behind me) to give merging traffic from Shop Road an easier time. But my exit, Bluff Road, was the next one and so I moved to get back in the right lane. COMPLETELY forgetting the minivan (and failing to turn my head to check my blind spot) and nearly colliding with them. Oddly, they didn't even hit the horn. My reflexes and theirs were pretty good, or good enough at least, and no collision happened. It definitely served as a reminder to check the dang blind spot. Anyway, if you're out there minivan driver, I'm very, very sorry. I'll try not to let it happen again. Please don't declare vendetta.

No comments:

Post a Comment