Sunday, May 5, 2013

Yum!

    Finally! A stupid advertising thing that doesn't make me annoyed, just bewildered. At yesterday's Kentucky Derby, prime sponsorship seems to have been purchased by Yum! Brands. This is the outfit comprised of KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, and some wings brand I've never heard of. In other words, it's the spunoff fast food operations of Pepsico from five or ten years ago.
    Long ago, KFC was called Kentucky Fried Chicken, but I really think it's been decades. As such, sponsoring the prime sporting event (perhaps) in the state of Kentucky to trumpet the fact that your corporation has turned its back on using the word "Kentucky" might not be one of the top common-sense moves of all time. Or, I dunno, maybe the people of Kentucky are crazy-mad proud that they're so great that KFC can leave the name of the state unsaid.
    Or maybe I think too much. Regardless, I was delighted to see the horses' grooms wearing aprons reading "Yum!" I have a guess that the grooms were somewhat less delighted about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment