Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Music snob finger

    Radio around here isn't really as bad as I sometimes make out, but I have noticed something a little odd about my relationship with the car radio. Whenever a new song comes on, I change the channel reflexively. Often as not, I realize a moment later, "Hey, that's one of my favorite songs!" and change it back immediately. The problem I think is that almost all contemporary music is too autotuned for me to be able to tolerate and the oldies stations have such a tight rotation that at any moment I'm tired of half the songs they play. Or maybe I'm not a very trusting person. But hell, I was tired of most of those tunes already back in the '70s and '80s. Fond of Boston as I am, I just don't need to hear the same three or four songs over and over. (Well, maybe "More Than A Feeling.")
    I can't decide whether I want to reform this tendency or not. Worthwhile as it may be to protect my ears from one more listening to "Hotel California" or "Sultans of Swing," I kind of feel like an idiot being prey to such a kneejerk reaction. And as I say, the new song is often one that I like. On the other hand, I think it's funny. We'll just see.
    I saw an army truck with a sign on the front reading, "Convoy Follows," but none was apparent. "Does not!," I hollered (with the windows closed, of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment