Friday, May 3, 2013

Mystery bug mystery SOLVED!

    This is a reference to an earlier post, probably at least a year earlier. If you have a burning need to see it, you could google the name of the blog along with "mystery bug," but as I recall I pretty much phoned that one in so you needn't bother. Especially as I'm phoning in this one, too, so I'll probably just say it all again anyway. SO! Long time ago, I was walking on the boardwalk at Congaree National Park when I had a mysterious visitation. It was an insect that hovered like a helicopter. This of course is not unusual. However, this insect also seemed to resemble a helicopter. I was pretty flummoxed, being pretty sure that no such insect exists. Also, I've never used recreational pharmaceuticals, so I didn't even have a good excuse for hallucinating.
    Today at Congaree Creek, I had another such visitation, and a better look. It was a particularly sneaky dragonfly. This one had half-diaphanous wings, but the diaphanous halves were the inner ones. Toward the outside, the wings appeared to be brown. For somebody with vision as poor as mine, they also seemed somewhat unrelated to the rest of the insect. Certainly not anything like rotors, but you see something hovering and you see part of the wings some distance from the body, and your mind is likely to put two and two together and get succotash. Anyway, mine does. You mean other people's don't?
    I'm sure it's a perfectly ordinary dragonfly, though googling won't produce any answering this description. Of course, that's mostly because I don't know the correct terms. Also, googling "half-diaphanous" gets you a lot of interesting pictures, but very few of them are dragonflies!

No comments:

Post a Comment