Saturday, May 18, 2013

Alleged peach cobbler

    As I've mentioned, I accidentally discovered Bisquick gluten-free baking mix (through Aldi temporarily offering a fake version). I tried it as a pizza crust but found it to be a little sweet and thought that it might make a nice GF peach cobbler. I tried twice to make peach cobbler muffins. The first time wasn't good enough to share, but once I actually added some sweetener they were OK. Still, I thought I could do better and had the brilliant idea to look up Bisquick peach cobbler recipes. And there's an official one and everything. They included milk and butter and sugar, so a lot of substitions were in order to bring it in line with my particular sensitivities (and/or insanities). I also finally looked up how you're supposed to change recipes to allow substituting honey for sugar. Whoops! Probably should have done that some years ago!
    Anyway, it turned out like this: Preheat oven to 350. Toss in mixing bowl 1C of Bisquick GF baking mix, 1/2 cup of safflower oil, 2/3 cup or so of honey, 3/4 cup or so (I'm so dang precise, aren't I?) of almond milk, and and and, that's it, really. Bisquick wanted me to add 1/2 tsp of nutmeg but I don't have any. I do have that dang Ceylon cinnamon and meant to put 1/2 tsp of that in instead but I forgot. So I sprinkled a bit on at the end. It didn't affect the taste enough for me to notice.
    Drain your canned peaches. Bisquick said to use a 29 oz can, but those only come in heavy syrup. For all that you're draining it, I felt that I'd wind up with too much syrup (hell, I even rinsed to drain 'em further, but still). I got two 15 oz cans of sliced peaches in 100% fruit (specifically pear) juice.
    Mix up your dough, pour in a pan. (Bisquick wanted an 8x8 baking dish, whatever that may be. I used a 7x11 pan and it filled nicely. That 8x8 dish might have overfilled pretty markedly.) Add your peaches. Throw in the oven for an hour. POW!
    I thought it turned out pretty nicely. I mean, everything tastes good warm out of the oven. This actually tasted better cold the next morning, because the honey flavor came out better. Of course, this means you have to use good, local honey. It costs more but it's so worth it. Now to make more alleged peach cobbler muffins!

No comments:

Post a Comment