Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Coded message

    A million years ago at an airport, Boston Logan I think, a woman walked up to me and said, "Was the hat rack yours?"
    Now I've always thought that if I could have come up with a plausible reply, she would have handed me a dossier and my career as an international spy would have been well under way. But apart from silly ruminations such as this, I still wonder: what the hell was that all about? Granted that it was well before 9/11, but I'm pretty sure nobody was carrying hat racks on to airplanes back in the '80s, or even ever. Also if I had ever been near a hat rack (or a portable one anyway) I think I would have noticed. But I was so gobsmacked by being asked the question I have to assume that nothing of the sort was the case. I guess I might have looked just like somebody who had just been in the vicinity of a portable hat rack. I had a vogue around that time for dressing all in red, such that somebody on a plane with me once asked if I followed the Maharaja, but I had no idea what she was talking about. (Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh (which totally doesn't sound like something from Dr. Seuss) says Wikipedia.) But I think that was a different period and I doubt I was dressed particularly crazily.
    It'll just be another of those mysteries. This will be clear at least: The bonobos eat lasagna on Thursday. I'm sure you all understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment