Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Memory is cell-phone dependent

    I did a string of joky exchanges via text with a friend today. I have the disheartening sense that I did them all before. Not that this is against the rules or anything, but I really don't like repeating jokes if I can at all help it. I have the strong sense that I did them before on the previous (and dumb) cell phone. It's just weird to think that a new cell phone erases everything from your mind. I don't remember changing typewriters all that often, but I've certainly changed computer keyboards without as far as I know forgetting what I had typed on the previous one. Maybe it's a smart phone/ dumb phone dichotomy. Or maybe I'm just over the hill.
    Yesterday's dessert fiasco turned out not to be one. In fact very much the opposite. I took a recipe for chocolate macaroons but due to my continuing hostility to caffeine, turned it into cocoa butter macaroons. Problem was that the writer of the original recipe thought that the macaroons would solidify after 10 minutes cooling. It seems unlikely but maybe they would have. Mine didn't solidify after several times ten minutes. However, after I had given up and thrown them all into a big tupperware bowl, I had an inspiration and put them in the refrigerator. Suddenly, from mess, macaroons! So next time I'll put the whole pan in the freezer and see how that works out. I expect dreamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment