Sunday, July 21, 2013

I caught the malefactor!

    I know who (or what) bent my radio antenna! OK, I don't really, but it made for a funny photo. I got back from today's hike at Congaree National Park (complicated by a cloudburst occurring upon my arrival, but those by definition are brief) and there was this giganterific Mothra-related dragonfly on my radio antenna! I shot a picture, which is on Facebook. If you're not on Facebook, take my word for it: it's a picture of a dragonfly on a radio antenna. The rest of the car is missing from the picture, which makes it confusing even for me. But I sort of dug it.
    Mosquitoes down there are so overwhelming that even I will be taking a few days off from visiting. (I've said that before, haven't I?) It occurs to me that even with a tripod, panoramic photography would be pretty tough under those circumstances. Granted, with a tripod you can pan the camera to the proper position, slap away mosquitoes, shoot picture, and repeat as needed. But I'm not sure that I wouldn't be so distracted by the dang bloodsuckers that I would move to the wrong position anyway. I don't normally have mosquitoes lighting on me unless I stop walking. Lately they have been doing so, but not frequently. Today it was almost constant. If anyone reading this is in or around Columbia SC, you can give Congaree National Park a miss for the next week or so. I kept meeting families with young children and/or dogs, and all the people were wearing short sleeves. I hope they were all bathing in DEET, 'cause otherwise they're probably down a pint. Unless they all brought their own dragonflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment