Friday, July 26, 2013

Sic transit fish days

    Not to suggest that I might be in any way going sane or anything like that, but after four years of inexplicably eating fish (usually haddock, potatoes and broccoli) every Monday and Thursday, I'm letting this practice go away. The idea, to the extent there ever was one, was to get some of my iodine in a form other than tablets or iodized salt. That, and I got to like haddock, potatoes and broccoli. But it's kind of a pain in the butt keeping the haddock and potatoes in stock, or anyway the potatoes, which tend to go bad quickly. I'll probably amp up my broccoli consumption though, as that's what I've been enjoying most about fish day lately.
    I keep saying that this blog is just a syntax exercise. If anyone out there is still reading it, I'd appreciate any comments about my use or overuse of the New Yorker comma. (I think more educated people call it the Oxford or Harvard comma, but that may be something different.) What I'm talking about is trying to fix my run-on sentences by separating clauses and sub-clauses with commas, in my case like a religious observance. (See?) I guess I could fix this by going all Hemingway and shifting to short, punchy sentences, but I think a part of me would die. Run-on sentences are part of me, dammit! But maybe I'll ease up on the run-on-and-on sentences.

No comments:

Post a Comment