Friday, July 12, 2013

I won! I won!

    I can no longer say that I never win anything. Last night, I went to a movie (Roman Polanski's debut, in Polish) screened by the movie club (P.O.V. Cineclub) curated by a friend of mine (Bradley). Afterwards, they held a drawing, and my ticket was pulled from the bag. I won a $15 gift certificate to one of my favorite Indian restaurants! So there!
    It was my second Polanski movie of the week, which I think brings my lifetime total of Polanski movies seen to, well, two. "Chinatown" screened Monday at the local repertory cinema; much to our surprise, there was a huge turnout. The two movies had at least a couple similarities: nice cinematography and bleak endings. And I guess there's a certain tendency on his part to treat his female actresses almost literally as mannequins. This was more the case in the first movie, but Faye Dunaway is also a little less than real-looking in "Chinatown."
    Of the two movies, I preferred the later one because it was more of a movie-movie. But I'm very grateful to the first movie for buying my lunch today. First time ever I made a profit on a movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment