Monday, July 8, 2013

Shelf stability

    Was that a Jane Austen novel? Shelf stability, or rather instability, is getting to be a problem here in gluten-free land. My various experiments in pumpkinage are all kinds of fun, but there's little point in posting the recipes because the last two sets of pumpkin muffins have gone sour within five, maybe four, days. So the best I can do is some observations.
    You can follow the pumpkin muffin recipe that's easiest to find via Google, the one from Libby's, and make it gluten-free without too much pain. I substituted half and half gluten-free flours, flaxmeal (which I like) and brown rice flour (which I don't, as it makes for dry, gritty-feeling baked goods). I also used honey instead of sugar, but only a little more than a half cup, which is to say drastically less sweetener than Libby's was expecting. I did throw in a little box of raisins, however. Spices included ginger, cloves, Ceylon cinnamon and nutmeg; I'm really having doubts about nutmeg. It just smelled and tasted like mustard to me.
    Anyway, point of all this blah-blah-blah is that what I came up with was REAL good bread! It may be that following the Libby's recipe left it undercooked and that's why it's turning sour. I think I'm going to make a real effort to make it as bread, leaving out the raisins and most of the spices and cook it considerably longer and see if it keeps better. If so, I'll return with a more useful recipe. One of the volunteer taste testers recommended dates; I think maybe I could go for that. So point is, I haven't gotten where I wanted to go, which was a desserty pumpkin muffin, but I think I've come up with a really tasty pumpkin bread. If only I can get it to last longer than four days without having to freeze it, I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment