Saturday, July 20, 2013

Details, details

    I probably don't apologize enough for boring readers with the minutiae of my life, but what the hell? It's my blog, and if I want to blither about plaquettes of Madras shirts, I guess it's my right. Have I mentioned lately that this is mainly a syntax exercise? Regardless, I was very pleased and fairly surprised that my bright idea of letting my Madras shirts air-dry rather than putting them in the dryer actually did lead to planquettes much less wrinkly. It isn't as good as ironing, but neither is it as tedious and annoying. (Also impossible without getting an iron and an ironing board. Though if I wanted to be ultra-anal, I could move everything off my two folding card tables and put one facedown atop the other with Madras shirts in between. But I don't think I really do, do I?)
    OK, I admit it; I just wanted to use the subject line, "Details, details." But I did have another point relatively germane to the topic. As I can't seem to stop mentioning, I continue to be obsessed with trying to photograph nearby Congaree National Park. While it's true that the mosquitoes make this difficult, they aren't the biggest problem. The biggest problem is that the views are infinitely lovely and the photographs aren't. And it occurs to me that this is because our eyes are smart and our cameras are not. In other words, you CAN see the forest for the trees, but your camera can't. I'm looking at these insanely lovely reflections in the waters, but there are so many trees large and small in the way that the camera utterly fails to capture these... details, details.

No comments:

Post a Comment