Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Allergies again, kitty litter again

    And then I thought, I've had the cat for 8 years. Why would my cat allergies suddenly spark up after all this time? On the other hand, though the new kitty litter has been around for months, it's only actually been used for the past few days, and that's when my allergies suddenly became awful.
    Hmmmm. Now I might be a complete idiot, but it sort of looks like I might be allergic to the new kitty litter. It's mainly cedar; apparently this is a relatively common allergy. I have a hospital mask, so if I wear that when cleaning the litter box, I should be OK. (Today was the first day I tried it and I've felt much better.)
    On the other hand, cedar is also a common allergy for kitties. So far, Amelia's eyes don't seem to be running (particularly compared to the bad old days with clay kitty litter) and her breathing seems to be OK. So long as she's happy with it, I guess I can live with having to wear a mask every time I deal with it. With the cat allergy, long exposure has pretty much whittled the allergy away; with luck, the same should happen with cedar, preferably more quickly. But I must admit to a strong temptation to switch to another kitty litter ASAP. This weekend's allergy symptoms were no fun at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment