Monday, February 10, 2014

No ethnicity is dirty

    I throw up in my mouth a little every time I see a major media outlet use the phrase "ethnic cleansing." I would hear it now and again on the network news, when I watched it. Today it was used on Facebook by Smithsonian Magazine, or anyway their social media people, in recounting an event that occurred in Sochi 150 years ago. My position is clear. If you mean forced repatriation, say forced repatriation. If you mean genocide, say genocide. Do not adopt this poor excuse for a euphemism under any circumstances. Language is powerful, and you do not want any part of acquiescing to the concept that any ethnicity could ever be dirty, or could ever need to be cleansed.
    On Facebook, there isn't scope for in depth discussion, so I replied to Smithsonian with only, "Using the phrase 'ethnic cleansing' is beneath contempt. You're better than this, Smithsonian." And usually, they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment