Thursday, February 13, 2014

This will be short

    "Whew!" probably would have sufficed. Icepocalypse '14 is over, at least in Columbia. Many surrounding areas have had serious (and likely to be protracted) power outages, but here we got mostly sleet and snow and very little freezing rain, so we were lucky. Also, temperatures today got into the 40s, so a lot of the mess melted. However...
    It didn't melt fast. So very few staffers made it to the dialysis facility. So even though I went in 3 hours late based on what the person answering the phone there told me yesterday, he still had nearly an hour's wait to be called back. Driving conditions were not at all bad, except that Margaret's driveway is on an incline, so escaping there was tricky. Driving the dialysis facility's parking lot was OK, but walking it was nerve-wracking. This was only my problem since I could drop and pick up Dad at the door.
    By the time they let him go again, it was dark. I really thought that him out of the car at Margaret's would be a big problem, but he came through like a champ even in bedroom slippers. She asked me to take her herbie curbie (garbage rollcart) out to the street for her and this proved to be the hardest task since the wheels didn't want to turn and the driveway was slick. But it wasn't too hard. And getting out of the driveway was much more straightforward the second time.
    There's a show tonight and I want to go, but I really don't want to go sliding around anymore. I'm really looking forward to this crap melting tomorrow and Saturday, and strongly hoping that Dad's dialysis Saturday is a lot more straightforward. But I'm so relieved today wasn't worse.

2 comments:

  1. If it's OK with you I will read this to my third grade students who are doing a project about storms and effects

    ReplyDelete