Sunday, February 2, 2014

Minor good news still counts

    VERY minor good news. But still. Kitty litter related, but I'll try to avoid TMI. Think of it as another writing exercise.
    Some time ago, I found a kitty litter made by a major manufacturer that was the same type as the one I've been using, which is to say basically sawdust. This was a good thing, because I had to special-order the litter I'd been using. (Apparently, a kitty litter called P-Pod never really caught on with the public. Imagine!)
    Bear with me; this is the writing exercise part. The normal method for persuading a cat to go along with a change in kitty litter is to do it gradually. You fill the litter box with 3/4 of the old (er, the previous brand) kitty litter and 1/4 of the new. The next time you change the box, you make it half and half, then 1/4 and 3/4 and then you're using the new kitty litter, hopefully happily.
    Since the new one was pretty similar to the old, I filled a box with it to see if Amelia would try it out, while of course having the regular box with the previous brand nearby on standby. Amelia demonstrated once again that cats are Republicans by ignoring the new totally. So I decided to do the whole gradual changeover described above starting with the next litter change. I bought one last bag of P-Pod; anyway, that's how it turned out. Because a couple of days later, the store where I order it (and the only one that carried it in the first place) called to say that their supplier had quit carrying it, so I wouldn't be able to get anymore. Pressure!
    So to make an already long story shorter, we appear to have attained happy endingsville. I only got to the half and half point of litter box changeover, but had maintained the full box of the new brand litter all along. This morning, I found that Amelia had been using the new one. Of course, this could have just been a kitty brainstorm and she may never use it again. But I think it's fair to say that once I'm out of the old brand and this one is the only choice, the fact that she's used it already will make the transition easy. (Also it smells like cedar, a big plus.) So yay. Not a big yay, but yay all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment