Sunday, February 9, 2014

Nature abhors a vacuum. Also parks.

    I visited the still uncompleted 10,000 Year Park in Cayce again. Progress is noticeable, but uneven. I think the informant who said a month ago that it would be done a month from now was either misinformed or over-optimistic. However, the parts that are done are most excellent. There are truly lovely views of Congaree Creek that will reward a visit even if the visitor has no interest in the historical aspects of the park.
    I was interested, or maybe a little tickled, that some of the cement (or is it concrete?; I can never tell 'em apart) path was already recovered by soil, mud or both. Granted, we've had a lot of rain, and that's a highly floodable area, right next to a creek. But I did get the impression that Mother Nature maybe isn't too thrilled with the building of parks. (PS: Re: the subject line, cats abhor vacuums, too. PPS: Re: subject line, that was meant to say Nature also abhors parks, not that Nature has a car and thus parks it.)
    Addendum for local peoples who may be as confused as me. I have tried at various times to check in on Facebook while walking Old State Road where this park is located. One check-in possibility has been Timmerman Trail, but I had no idea what this is. On my wanderings today, I finally found a sign for Timmerman Trail, indicating that that was what I was standing on. So apparently the park will be the 10,000 Year Park; the trail will be Timmerman Trail. Who Timmerman might be I don't know; S.C. Electric & Gas executive, one guesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment