Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Snowpocalypse 2: Electric Boogaloo

    Considering how relaxed the previous snowpocalyse was (locally; I appreciate it wasn't too relaxed in Atlanta or Birmingham), it's weird how keyed up this one is. Especially in that it's only been two weeks; isn't the bread and milk you bought last time still good?
    This time around I've been in a bunch of stores, and it does in fact seem like the apocalypse. Aldi had nearly no produce. Publices had long lines at every register. Hell, yesterday at Big Lots, there was an endless line for the only register, though I didn't check whether anybody was buying groceries. Maybe 4 on Monday is just a bad time at Big Lots.
    My brush with greatness came when an attractive young woman ahead of me in line at Publix inadvertently stepped on my foot. She was wearing a USC Equestrian jacket; it didn't say USC National Equestrian Champions, but I'm pretty sure they are. I told her that my boots are large and that she doesn't weigh much, which reads back lewd, but I only meant to reassure her that she hadn't hurt me. I'm pretty sure she understood it that way.
    This time out, the worry is about freezing rain and consequent power loss. I guess that's always the worry, but fortunately we dodged the bullet two weeks ago. Hopefully we do again, though the forecast is worrying. Also, Dad got another abbreviated dialysis session today, and if they open at all Thursday another one is a near certainty then, too. Which is also worrying. We just cross our fingers that all the forecasts are wrong. That would not exactly be unprecedented.

No comments:

Post a Comment