Sunday, February 16, 2014

Also there was an earthquake

    Yeah, day before yesterday was sort of unusual. After I had dropped my sister at the airport, I went to bed early. Amelia the cat was extra agitated, but then I had been gone for hours and she's usually that way when this is the case. Who knows, though? Maybe she was making like the zoo animals are said to do before earthquakes. Regardless, we're on the bed and the house starts shaking. I remember saying aloud, "I don't know why the house is shaking, sweetheart" (meaning to reassure). It was only later when I saw others (LOTS of others) posting that there had been an earthquake in Edgefield, rather near Augusta where I'd just come from.
    Now, if we had eaten in Augusta, we would have probably still been on the interstate when the earthquake hit, but we would have almost made it Columbia airport by then. It would have been alarming but presumably less so than if we'd been in the Augusta area. Then again, I'm not sure how alarming a 4.1 is when you're in your car. As I mentioned, the interstate was already pretty alarming due to fallen trees. One assumes that fallen trees + shaking ground would have been... more so.
    Anyway, it was such a minor earthquake that it just becomes an amusing anecdote, my very favorite kind. Meanwhile, the family is still gathering for the celebration of Dad's 93d birthday tomorrow. We're probably going to get together for supper tonight. We will try to avoid any further tectonic events.

No comments:

Post a Comment