Monday, February 24, 2014

Log stacking

    Today I visited Congaree National Park for the first time since the ice storm. They're in some disarray. The elevated boardwalk is closed due to storm damage and the trails I tried (Sims, Lake Weston Loop) were passable but only if you're willing to navigate a good deal of fallen trees and limbs. (Tree limbs, mind you!) It was still pretty and all; I definitely recommend people continue to visit. But it will be better still in a few days by which time they will have been able to make more repairs.
    An odd thing I noticed was a tendency on the part of the rangers, I assume, to stack logs neatly by the side of the road or trail. I don't think anyone will be able to carry them like that. Assuming they could get a forklift trailside, it probably wouldn't be able to carry them that way either. There isn't a fireplace handy that I know of. I assume it isn't somebody just being impossibly tidy. My best guess is that stacking them shows that somebody has been here, that this job is done. It just struck me as an odd thing to do when they obviously have a lot of work still to get to. Not a criticism at all; I'm just puzzled. Of course, maybe the beavers like 'em that way! I think I would have gone with a crop circle look, myself.
    Since the polar vortex is expected back in another few days, I just want to note that today is about the most gorgeous day possible. I did get buzzed by a fly in the national park, which seems unfair in February, but that's about the height of the complaints. The light was beautiful, but I've finally figured out that all my Congaree photos look about the same, so I'm finally weaning myself from posting them on Facebook. But they were still pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment