Saturday, June 7, 2014

An odditude

    In fact, several odditudes. First, a non-odditude: Sid Meier's Civilization IV is a hoot. I suspect that the IV stands for intravenous, rather than four; it's that addictive. A well-spent dollar, that was.
    The odditude is that when I installed the game (the Gold edition, as I mentioned yesterday), that's what I got and played, the Gold edition. This morning, what was on my Start menu was Civilization IV Warlords. I opened it and couldn't find my saved game. I searched for my saved game and found it under Civilization IV Gold. I also got results for the .exe files for both Gold and Warlords; the former was dated yesterday, the latter today. Now I installed damn thing yesterday. I didn't do anything with it today. I can only guess that when I went online, the program phoned home and said, "Hey, he has Warlords as well; let's show that, too." But it still shouldn't have been installed today. Ghost in the machine!
    Anyway, Warlords is also a hoot. It has a scenario where you can be barbarians and you win by destroying all civilizations. I already took out Genghis Khan, ironically enough. So yeah, I'm working on strategies to limit my playing time and avoid incursions on eating and sleeping time. Today, I took an extra-long hike on the grounds that if I came home, I'd just play Civilization. I'm open to suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment