Monday, June 2, 2014

Ugly babies

    My cat is very cute (as in, even at 11 she has a face like a kitten) and has a very cute voice most of the time. Studies say that cats wrap us around their figures by making a sound like a human baby; Amelia does a good job of this.
    The cat that was visiting me had the voice trick down, too, sounding almost exactly like Amelia. But in spite of being very young, just out of kittenhood himself, he was not anywise cute. The pictures say that he looked like a ruthless killer. Tabbies in general are pretty scary looking unless they're fat like a B. Kliban cartoon. And then they sing about the mousies they love to eat, so it's even worse.
    The point is that in my mind's eye, I remember him as a much, much cuter cat. I'm always surprised when I look back at the pictures at what a stone-cold killer he appears to be. I figure it's the voice. The voice was so cute that it told my brain that this is a cute cat and so my brain supplies the picture of a cute cat as my memory of him. Or possibly I'm just an idiot.
    I was wondering if people who have ugly babies (or for that matter, ugly pets) experience a similar phenomenon. Your mind's eye pictures a prettier baby or pet. Or is love truly blind?
    Regardless, another Monday has rolled around. This is his traditional day to appear, and he has not. So I assume he found a home, or went home, or his owners moved away. I just hope he's well and well-fed. He was a good 'un.

No comments:

Post a Comment