Monday, June 30, 2014

I'm worried about my brain function

    Not, I'm glad to say, about Alzheimer's but more in the realm of autism. I'm troubled that the network of rules I weave around me sometimes gets in the way of plain thinking. I walk at least a half hour every day. I take an iPod with me nearly every time. When I'm done, I usually go out and run errands. I nearly always leave the iPod in the car. Today, after years of this, I finally figured out that I could leave the earbuds (replacement value c. $1) in the car and keep the iPod (replacement value: possibly irreplaceable. Sometimes the new ones won't work with old iTunes and you have to rip and load all your records all over again) in my pocket.
    Now this is pretty obvious stuff. The positive spin to put on it is that I'm just a trusting soul, and the fact that neither iPod has been stolen shows that I am right to be. And I'm pretty enthusiastic about this spin. But it might also be that I'm just so programmed that when I'm done with iPod, Hulk done with iPod and it comes off body. As I say, it's a little disturbing that this impulse was so strong as to override the very easy security measure of just disconnecting the earbuds and keeping the valuable and highly portable item in my pocket. It isn't something I'll be up at night about, but it is something that makes me go hmmm.
    Meanwhile, little cat capture efforts continue unsuccessful. I got him a squeaky mouse toy which he crazy mad loved. It was supposed to be imbued with catnip, but I forgot I bought it at Kmart. There inventory doesn't exactly move quickly; it probably WAS imbued with catnip a year or so ago. Anyway, he wasn't noticeably calmer and I couldn't even get him all the way to the cat carrier. I think for the next attempt Wednesday I'll have fresh (not from China) catnip rubbed on the mouse. Hopefully he hasn't lost interest in it; he had cooled on it even before the cat carrier attempt. Onwards and forwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment