Saturday, June 21, 2014

Let's check in with Ben Franklin

    Wild wacky dreams last night. I was traveling with my dad and we got separated. I was all thrilled for some reason about getting a new (dumb) cell phone. There was some business about coming up with a very complicated password, thinking I'd forgotten it already and then finding I hadn't. I guess my dreaming mind just wanted me to feel relieved. So then I went back and found my dad, who had gotten a motel room and was sleeping.
    It's always a question when remembering dreams whether there was an awkward transition or whether your waking mind just reconstructs one and what you're actually putting together are just the bits your remember. So I don't think my dad transformed into George Washington, although that would have been cool. I think I just started dreaming about George Washington. I apparently could time travel without a machine. (Take that, H.G. Wells!) The business with George was first to go back and see what Ben Franklin hadn't invented yet and maybe help him out. (No-line bifocals, say.) Then I was trying to figure out if there was still a George Washington in his original timeline and maybe he could go back, take the wig off and pass for somebody else. This of course makes no sense to the waking mind (nor did my thought that he was red-headed; I was thinking of Jefferson) but it made all the sense in the world at the time.
    Then I just wanted to use my time travel powers to go back to the first half of the twentieth century to various cities (Atlanta, Los Angeles and Columbia for some reason suggested themselves), ascend the tallest building in each and take pictures of the skyline back then. The waking mind feels that there is just a chance that somebody did this already and it might be fun to try to track down such pictures. At last a use for my crazy dreams? That's impossible!

No comments:

Post a Comment