Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Failing the sharpest tool in the shed audition again

    I always get up at 7, but today I actually HAD to. Dad had an MRI that will supposedly show why he burps so much scheduled for 8:30 in the morning for heaven's sake, so up I had to get. And last night, I had a nasty headache that seemed sinus-related. I couldn't do much about that, but I took a Benadryl figuring that if it didn't help it would at least help me sleep. And maybe it did.
    I slept and dreamed and woke and slept and dreamed and woke and slept and dreamed and-- you get the picture, don't you? None of the dreams were nightmares, just weird and fairly vivid. I remember few, you lucky dogs. One involved my old apartment in Philadelphia, except of course completely different. The weird part about this dream was that I had hundreds of very dark, practically identical snapshots of my face. I seemed to like them a lot. Later I dreamed about being in an apartment with a family with a young child. I seemed to think I was auditioning for a TV reality show. There was a small bathtub in the middle of the apartment, something like a one-person hot tub. I was running hot water when my cat (or a reasonable facsimile, considering my limited visualization skills) jumped in. She was not best pleased.
    But for all these weirdnesses, I slept fairly well and restfully and woke in due time. Dad's MRI was straightforward and quick, and we were home again not long after 9, I think. But all this has been pushed out of my head by my latest not the sharpest tool in the shed rodeo. I used to cut up carrots by slicing width-wise, winding up with rounds. These, while pretty, tended to roll away, often onto the floor. So I finally figured I should make one cut length wise, and then I would have half-rounds that wouldn't roll. And I cut each half-carrot up width-wise, taking twice as long as before. I did this for the last five years or so. Today I noticed that I could just cut both half-carrots at the same time. Face. Palm.

No comments:

Post a Comment