Saturday, July 19, 2014

Captured!

    After only two months and a week according to this very self-same blog, I caught Harry and took him to the spay/neuter clinic at Pawmetto Lifeline (no-kill pet adoption facility). As it turned out, the fact that their Saturday hours coincided with dialysis time was absolutely perfect, a fact I figured out right after I complained about it yesterday. Only worrying thing would have been if Dad had had to wait an hour to be called back, but for the third session in a row, they called him right smack on time. Expect the Apocalypse.
    The Harry part was easy. I had left the cat carrier against the bed with the door open and the door side up. All I needed was for the little schmoe to try to get in with me, which he has been doing every time I get home from dropping Dad off for the last week or so. Harry did not disappoint and I scooped him up and slid him in and got the door shut before he could jump out again. That'll teach you to follow people into their houses!
    I took him to Pawmetto Lifeline, which required more time on the expressway than I would have preferred. I really thought he was going to make good on the Houdini name; he was clawing on the door of the carrier so hard, I was starting to worry. I had had it on the seat so he could see me, but that didn't seem to be calming him, so I tipped it (gently) down into the passenger side, door side up again, so at least he would have to work harder. It calmed him a little.
    We had a significant wait at the clinic, but he calmed down a lot once he was no longer moving. The other animals didn't bother him especially. The upshot was that he has nothing communicable and no chip, and now he has had his shots. Boosters are required in three weeks (oh joy!). He's been eating like a longshoreman since I got him home, and begging to be let out. He and Amelia have been pretty cool so far. I have no idea if he knows what the litter box is for. Considering how much he ate, I expect I'll find out directly.
    The point is that if he can be an indoor cat, now he may. If he can't, at least I know he's healthy. Having had his shots, he should stay that way. He's an incredible sweetheart; maybe if he and Amelia can't get along I can find somebody else to adopt him. Whatever happens, it was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment