Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Microwave

    For those what don't care for smart phones, well, here's a positive experience type anecdote. Yesterday my 93-year-old dad told me that his 93-year-old sweetheart was having trouble with the microwave and asked me if I could help. I noted that I hadn't had any truck with a microwave in 6 years or so, but said I'd certainly try. I plugged it back in (no, that wasn't the problem; she was just being cautious) and tried it and immediately got an error code. She had lost the manual years ago, so I looked up the error code online and within a minute, found that replacing the broken part (the magnetron, basically the whole microwave) would cost $200 or more than she had paid for the microwave in the first place. So there.
    Today I had a dental appointment and the office called and asked if I could come in early and I said sure. Margaret called and asked if I could bring the microwave in from her daughter's car, as her daughter has a bad shoulder. I had time, so I said sure again. It was fun feeling like the strong man; it was a very light microwave. We got it out of the box and installed and gave it a trial run and I took the old microwave and box out to the curb (or kerb, or whatever). I still had time to make it to the dentist early even for being early, which worked out nicely. I actually left before my original appointment time rolled around.
    For those what enjoy hearing about me being an idiot as much as I enjoy telling it, stay tuned: I completely forgot what the round clear glass plate (turntable) was for and was trying to find a way to put it under the microwave. They were totally bewildered by this, which is certainly understandable. I TOLD you it had been a long time since I used a microwave!

No comments:

Post a Comment