Sunday, July 6, 2014

Mr. Personality

    Harry the cat had a big day. Not as big as tomorrow will be (hopefully when I finally get him to the vet). But big enough.
    I brought my buddy Paul around to meet him. Naturally, Mr. Personality, normally ebullient at all times, vocalizing to beat the band including cute trills and many almost words, went totally silent when confronted with a second human. This is not exactly unprecedented. For the longest time, nobody believed me that Amelia is endlessly, unabashedly vocal, since she barely makes a sound when anybody else is here. It's mostly because I'm the one feeding them, so I'm Mama Cat, and they only vocalize around Mama Cat. But of course, it might also be to make me look as crazy as possible. I do not rule out the latter possibility.
    For the last three days, Harry has been coming in the house when I go out to feed him in the morning, but pretty quickly figures out where the food is and comes right out again. After I got home from dropping Paul off this evening, Harry ran all the way in and met Amelia face to face. They sniffed each other's noses and then he tried to bat at her again, like he did when they first met with a door between them. So I chased him out. Not the most propitious meeting, but it could have been worse. It's interesting to see them face to face, because Harry is so skinny and Amelia so fluffy, but Harry is already taller. I suspect he's going to wind up being an outside cat even if I succeed at getting him to the vet, tomorrow or otherwise. But I hope they can live together peaceably.
    I had a brilliant plan for the vet catnapping, but it hasn't worked out. I took an old towel and sprayed it with Feliway (supposedly a cat-calming hormone) and catnip spray and put it on the chair he likes to lie on, but he has declined to lie on it. I was going then going to put it in the cat carrier in hopes of slowing him a step, but I guess we're on to plan b. That would be to try wrapping him in it and throwing cat and towel into the carrier. Odds of success I would estimate to be about a million to one.

No comments:

Post a Comment