Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Two birds, one stone

    I've finally admitted that the reason I'm not getting this new kitty to the vet is that I don't really want to. But I've also figured out that this isn't some vetophobia or too much sympathy for the kitty's aversion to the cat carrier. No, what I think it's about are these sixty gazillion flea bites on my legs, especially my feet and ankles. You don't much want to handle a cat who is going to infest you with another bunch of fleas, even if the bites aren't nearly as itchy as people say.
    So I went to the vet without a kitty and got two doses of Feline Advantage. It comes in two sizes, one for cats less than 9 lbs and one for cats that are more. Amelia was nearly nine lbs the last time the vet saw her, so I go ahead and get her the larger size dose. (They cost the same.) I got the same for Harry since he's so long, but I feel bad about it; I'm not at all sure he's really that heavy. I hope it has no adverse consequences. I figured that he's so wily he would get away from me before I got it all on the back of his neck anyway.
    Amelia has previous experience with this stuff and doesn't like having it put on her. Mainly she doesn't like being handled, but it's hard to put poison out of licking range on a very fluffy cat without handling her. Anyway, when she sees the tiny bottle, she tends to back away. Thus, when I fed Harry this afternoon, I got her to leave him alone by brandishing Feline Advantage at her and offering to put it on her. I think I'll continue this policy; I kept one of the empty bottles (tubes? whatever) just for the purpose.
    Harry was much easier to get to let me apply it to his neck. (Who's the smart one now?!) But eventually, I was able to persuade Amelia to let me put it on her as well, so flea bites should be a thing of the past rather shortly. Hopefully, I'll be getting the little weasel in the cat carrier Friday without fail.

2 comments: