Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The continuing Harry adventure

    As of yesterday, Amelia quit hissing at Harry, which was a nice improvement. Fortunately, for indoor cat training purposes, it was raining the past two days, so Harry was pretty much OK with staying indoors. I even kept him inside all night by the simple means of leaving the lights on. (I sleep with a sleep mask anyway.) I found on an earlier attempt to keep him in all night that the cats were very mellow and nap oriented as long as I had the lights on but, nocturnal beasts that they are, started acting up once I turned them off. Leaving them on worked pretty well, although I woke up every two hours like a new parent myself.
    Today it isn't raining and Harry started acting like a butthole. I played with him with a shoestring and he loved the hell out of it but got so amped up that I finally let him out. He's been in and out all day, but is in at the moment. It's not like he's romping and carousing; mainly he's just napping out there. Still, he batted at Amelia again, somewhat more seriously than before, so it's probably best to let him out for large chunks of the day for her greater equanimity. Honestly, I have no idea whether he will be amenable to becoming an inside cat in the long run. I think the transition is going pretty well on the whole and I am reasonably optimistic. It occurs to me too that I have a good reason not to rush: he has to go back for booster shots in 2 1/2 weeks, and my best chance of getting him back in the carrier is to nab him coming in the door again. This of course requires him to be out the door first. Logic!

No comments:

Post a Comment