Sunday, July 20, 2014

Yeek

    To start with, things are fine with the new kitty. I don't know if he'll adapt to being an inside kitty eventually, but at least he does OK inside. He's already jumped up on the kitchen counter, and for some reason he desperately wants to get in the refrigerator, but in general he isn't any problem. I have yet to see him use the litter box, which is a worry, but I understand that they all figure it out pretty easily. I left him and Amelia unsupervised for an hour so I could go to the store. I was expecting to return to a pile of rubble, but they were totally mellow. Amelia was napping; Harry was itching to be outside again. He's stayed out there all day, but I check on him. Leopards do a lot of napping, apparently.
    So the Harry and Amelia situation didn't inspire the Yeek. It's Aldi's gluten-free baking mix. I tried it for pancakes and they were nasty. I tried it today for a pizza crust; it's nasty. It tastes like stale saltines or stale bran flakes. Although this does constitute tasting like wheat, I'm not sure the Aldi people (or Bisquick, whom they are imitating) would be pleased to hear it.
    I don't mention it just to whine and moan; I'm trying to come up with a fix, and I'm failing. I ran into somebody from the celiac group and he mentioned that he used this very same mix to make a berry cobbler that he loves. I know I tried using it for my various dessert projects last year such as pumpkin cobbler; it wasn't great but it wasn't awful. So maybe adding honey would help. Stale saltines or bran flakes, you just throw out. I'm not sure sweetener would help. Also there's like a coating on the tongue and the teeth. On the whole, plenty of yeek. I still have almost an entire package. I guess I'll use it for desserty type things, and then never bother with it again. Or maybe I'll raspberrysize some pancakes; that probably won't work either, but it can't hurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment