Sunday, July 13, 2014

Two bucks is two bucks

    Staples (the office supply store, not the fastening items) has a profit margin the Mafia would envy. I'm celiac, and I've been advised that licking envelopes to seal them is not a good idea. So I was looking for the kind with the strip of paper that you pull off and then they seal without licking. Regular envelopes I can get at Dollar Tree, meaning for a dollar, I think for 100. For the no-lick variety, Staples wanted $10 for 100. For 25, they wanted $4.50, or $2.50 for their cheap brand. But their cheap brand was sold out. And I just couldn't hack it. (Notice that even the $2.50 is the same larcenous price per envelope as the Staples house brand 100-count.)
    So I explained to the checker that they were sold out on their lower-price item and asked if they could sell me the Staples 25-count for the lower price. And she went and looked, and asked her manager (felt like I was buying a car) and gave me the $2 off. Not a major victory, nothing important, but dammit, I just didn't feel like being held up for something I had to buy due to a medical condition anyway. And, as I say, two bucks is two bucks.
    Harry the cat actually left food in his bowl for the first time this morning, so maybe he has left his Starvin' Marvin days behind him. Tomorrow will be my next attempt to get him to the vet. I'm, uh, not unoptimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment