Thursday, July 3, 2014

The cat naming problem

    Well his official name is easy, Harry for Houdini (for his escape ability) or Potter (for his invisibility). If he turns out not to be a he, I could go with Hermione or Sue Storm (the Invisible Girl). But I do sorta semi halfway wish I could come up with something that reflects how he looks. He has fangs, so I like Smilodon or Smiley. They're fairly goofy fangs, bringing to mind a cartoon child vampire I swear I remember from my childhood, but the Internet does not remember. He is a tabby, so I like the name Tab Hunter, but I'm not sure anyone but me would get it. He has a mackerel pattern that looks like the stripes on the marsupial wolf, but Thylacine is a fairly awkward name. No doubt that's why they went extinct. If he turns out to be a girl, I may go with Thyla, though.
    Amelia gets her name changed about twice a week, or 900 times over 9 years, so no doubt Harry will never get bored from being called the same thing all the time. I'm inclined towards Smidgen for his every day nickname, which will be funnier later. I have a feeling he's going to be huge pretty darned soon. Smidgen will still be less embarrassing around the other cats than Count Floyd, though.
    (All this of course assumes that he doesn't have a chip nor anything communicable and I can actually adopt him. I like my chances in both departments.)

No comments:

Post a Comment