Thursday, July 17, 2014

You have been absorbed

    This is another Civilization post; further apologies. For the first two versions of Civilization, your civilization was built town by town. That is, each town had borders, which never changed, and your country was as big as the sum of all the areas controlled by each town.
    With Civilization III, there was a change. As you built neat stuff, you also built culture and as you built culture, the borders of each town spread farther and farther out (or is that further?) until your nation has an unbroken territory. Build enough neat stuff and your borders get pretty far (or is that fur?) from your towns. Eventually, if your culture is groovy enough, you start causing rebellions in neighboring towns, and they quit their country and join yours.
    However! I never saw a rival capital quit and join up, until yesterday. I was being Persia (second best to India, so far) and Athens rebelled and joined my country. I had been intentionally building close to them, but only with the idea of getting them to expand away from me. I had no idea that I could absorb a capital. I don't even know how it's possible. (The capital is where your culture is most concentrated, so it shouldn't be, uh, culturally dominable.) But it happened. Now I want to do it every time!
    Sorry again. Really, I'll try to shut up about Civilization IV now. Really!

No comments:

Post a Comment