Sunday, August 31, 2014

Box of light

    I've wanted to post this for years, and maybe I did. If so, this also works as an update. I'm not sure how to word it, which is one reason I haven't (or may not have) posted it before, and it's pretty minor even by my exacting standards. It's about a photo I want to take.
    This town was the last of the 100 largest in America to turn over its public transit (such as it is) from private ownership (the power company) to a regional transportation authority. When they did, between 10 and 20 years ago, they got a bunch of spiffy, new (or spiffy-looking new-looking) buses. There's something funny about these buses. Not bad; just odd. At night, if you see one, it's so lit up on the inside compared to dark surroundings, it looks like a moving box of light.
    Now I've ridden buses a lot over the years, though more often in Philadelphia decades back. Here, the bus system has always been so bad that I would normally walk along the bus line and get to my destination before I saw a bus, no matter how far away that might be. Point is that I've seen buses at night before; I can't say why these seem unusually bright. (I mean, all city buses keep their lights on inside at night, and probably during the day, too, right?)
    The RTA has changed its name (ironically, to COMET), and they're either getting new buses or redecorating the old ones. Mainly, there's gigantic Comet artwork on the sides (cool, though not as cool as it sounds), including on the windows. The windows also seem to be smoked. Most likely that's why other buses in other towns or eras didn't seem so bright; either they had little windows or smoked ones. But my chances of getting the box of light picture are diminishing. I still see some of those buses, but fewer of them. I'd really like to get the picture. Would I like it enough to hang out on street corners at night waiting for the right bus to come along? Well no. Let's go serendipity!

No comments:

Post a Comment