Friday, August 29, 2014

Tai chi vacuuming

    The new canister vacuum has a dirt sensor, or so it claims. There's a red light and a green light. The green light is on most of the time. If the red light comes on, you're supposed to stop while the vacuum gives the carpet an extra thorough cleaning. However, if you fail to stop, the red light just goes off. If you return to the same spot, it seldom comes on again. This is why I put in the "or so it claims" part.
    I act as if it really works. It usually comes on in places that I would expect to be dirty, like where the cats hang out or where I eat. However, the fact that you have to stop immediately whenever you see the red light leads to some very herky-jerky, tai chi vacuuming. It's literally like Red Light Green Light from kindergarten, except with less giggling. But even if I'm not giggling, I'm very tickled by it. And I still think the house is getting cleaner and our breathing is getting better.
    How long this may last is another question. I've had the thing for a month or more and the Check Bag light has still never come on. I'm sure I already should have changed the bag by now. Also, if you open the canister to look at the bag, there's a notice printed inside to clean the filters. If you read the manual, there is only a warning that the filters must be changed, that cleaning them will destroy their dirt trapping ability. Who to believe? Who to believe? I believe I'll take it to the vacuum shop across the river and ask them.

No comments:

Post a Comment