Thursday, August 7, 2014

Kitty suicide attempt

    Harry, the new kitty, continues to behave in a matter that I consider strange. I'm sure he feels the same way about me, of course. He mostly stays outside, even though yesterday and today were insanely hot. Then again, he's a kitty. Last night, though, he slept inside, sleeping on my legs like Amelia has for much of the last nine years. Only at 6 a.m. or so did he start trying to eat my left arm, which I recognize as Harryese for "I would like to go outside now, please."
    He came in briefly to eat, but spent the rest of the morning outside. About ten minutes before I was due to go pick my dad up for dialysis, I checked and he was on my side porch napping. When I went out to the car, however, I noticed a dark grey blob just a bit in front of my driver's side front tire. It was Harry all right. I have no idea why he would have decided that this was the moment to get off the porch and lie in front of the car. I hope his little kitty wristwatch didn't tell him that it was the exact right moment for a dramatic gesture. I like to think he went there because it was warmer and the timing was coincidental. It's just so odd that I had just checked and found him somewhere else, and fortuitous that I didn't just jump in the car and roar away. I like to think that cat-quick reflexes would have got him out of the way, but still.
    In general, he's acting better and his cute voice and appetite have both come back. I suspect that the hairball was a rough experience for him, quite probably his first. I imagine the neutering tomorrow won't go over too well either. Ah well, kitty, if you would just stay inside, it wouldn't be necessary (Amelia being nine-years spayed) but you love your freedom too well!

No comments:

Post a Comment