Friday, August 8, 2014

Nuts!

    Today was the day Harry's booster shots were due. Well, tomorrow would be, but the spay/neuter clinic at Pawmetto Lifeline isn't open but on the first and third Saturdays for walk-ins, and this isn't one of those. So the first problem was getting him into the cat carrier again.
    I had a shrewd notion that I wouldn't be able to surprise him by grabbing him as he walked in the door again, and I was right. Little kitties know how to make themselves big when they don't want to be put in a box. So I tried taking the cat carrier apart, putting him in the bottom section and reassembling it around him. That worked about as well as it sounds like it would.
    So I played with him with the laser pointer. And played with him with the laser pointer. And played with him with the laser pointer. And when he started looking tuckered out, I picked him up and dumped him in the carrier no problem, just in time for the afternoon walk-in session at the clinic.
    I didn't know how the neutering procedure is conducted there, so I thought I could have it done today. But no, he needs to be knocked out, so the drill is that I drop him off at 8 one morning and pick him up at 7:30 the next. So all he was getting today was his booster shots. (This played hell with my joke about hearing, "You've Got To Fight For Your Right To Party" on the ride over.)
    They gave him his shots and the tech said, "You had on his form that he's unaltered? No, he's neutered." So Harry gets saved a trip. Might explain his antipathy for the cat carrier, though. He still has one more set of booster shots (and the microchip) and then he's done with vets unless he gets sick.
    Only thing is, the fact that somebody had him neutered definitely means he was somebody's pet. I should really put up flyers saying that he's been found. The problem with that is that grey tabby cats are not exactly rare; the only thing that stands out about him are the fangs, and they don't stand out much. So I'll think about it. Considering how starved he was when he turned up on my porch, I'm not sure I want him going back where he came from anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment