Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Everything great except the food

    Boy was I ready to write a great, enthusiastic review! My celiac group went to Red Robin last night. It's a joint I would go to sometimes when I wanted a great burger because they would serve them protein-style, which is to say, wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun. But it isn't conveniently located so I haven't been there in ages.
    Last night, we had failed to make a reservation, so they weren't ready for us, but they made accommodations pretty quickly. Back in, as we say, the day, they had a printed gluten-free menu which they updated pretty regularly. (When I say "printed," I mean "on a printer." It looked a little slapdash, but one still appreciated the effort.) These days, they have an iPad. It was really great! You got to choose first which ingredients you want to avoid. This is how the other soy-avoider and me learned that we couldn't eat the French fries. This was disappointing, but way better than eating them and being sorry. So we got to order and everything was going great.
    Some time since back in the day, though, they forgot how to cook burgers. And as grateful as we were that they have gluten-free buns now, they didn't have much of an idea how to cook them either. Mine was just scorched, as was my burger which was very dry. My fellow soy-avoider couldn't even cut her bun with a knife. The steamed broccoli I got instead of the fries was great (and I was offered a refill just like they do with the fries, much to my amusement), but I didn't drive all the way across town for broccoli. So I think it's fair to say that I'll never, ever be back. This is a shame since they so nearly did a great job. Restauranting would be so easy if it wasn't for that darn food!

No comments:

Post a Comment