Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Free stuff

    Years ago, I turned up at my dentist and instead of my regular hygienist, I got the remedial one. There seemed to be a general impression that I wasn't doing right by my gums and if I didn't get in line, I would be getting dentures. She scared the bejeezus out of me properly and I've done much much better ever since. She was really pushing a line of toothpicks hard. They're called StumuDent; they worked fine and when they were gone I went to buy more. They turned out to be from China, which is not where I normally want things going in my mouth to come from. I bought toothpicks from the USA and have continued to do so.
    Last month, I got the same hygienist, although I got a lot more chatting than lecturing this time. (Lecturing was about my terrible brushing technique, but I'm not sure that eye-hand coordination can be taught at this late age.) She again pushed StimuDent and I told her they were from China. She was shocked! Looking it up on Amazon, a lot of people there are shocked, too. I just found it odd that somebody recommending these to every patient would never have gone to a store to find out about the actual product. I guess it's the danger of getting free stuff. She's not such a fan of putting stuff from China in her mouth either.

No comments:

Post a Comment