Thursday, August 27, 2015

Your pals AT&T

    When Dad was still living, I went to the power company (SC E&G) and tried to change his billing address such that bills would come to me. They made it sound like such a living hell that I just said bump this, and to this day pick up the bill at Margaret's. It made me a little jaded towards utilities.
    Today I set out to change his landline's billing address, since William apparently is still using it. I went to the AT&T office building where I would pay my bills back during the previous millennium, but they aren't too customer-friendly anymore. In short, it's a fortress. I found that there are AT&T stores all over, though they're mainly for wireless. However, it was the only possibility that I could see so I tried one.
    Boy do I feel like a doof! AT&T doesn't care if you're living, dead or undead so long as you pay. I was expecting to have to show the will, the death certificate, my appointment as whatever I'm appointed as, etc. The guy just got on the phone and talked to the billing people and changed the address. Meaning that I could have done the same. But hell, how was I to know? It was pretty fun to tell the truth. It was also funny that I couldn't actually pay the bill there. Anyway, not with a check. I felt so darned twentieth century again!

No comments:

Post a Comment